Sunday, August 30, 2009

6.Disabilities-are you placard worthy?

Every cloud has its silver lining, in my case it was blue as in blue placard . The stroke took out 25% of my brain concentrating around the right parietal and temporal lobes, earning me an overall diagnosis of ABI, acquired brain injury. ABI is an umbrella term that encompasses most brain injuries acquired after birth. With the current wars in the forefront we’ve become more accustomed to hear about TBI’s, brain injuries as the result of a trauma to the brain. ABC’s anchorman, Bob Woodruff did a courageous and compelling report of his own TBI sustained in his reporting of the war in Iraq and his subsequent recovery. The optimum word in TBI is traumatic and trauma to the brain comes from many sources and not just the battlefield. Car accidents, falls, assaults all contribute to the growing numbers of reported TBI cases.
I was lucky; I dodged a bullet, through the help of family and friends and close proximity to a hospital, I received expeditious care and prevented more serious damage from happening. After the initial recovery and rehabilitation, MY rehab counselors suggested that I apply for disability, with a diagnosis of ABI. Weeks later I received the coveted disabled placard in the mail. Wow front row center in most parking lots & other amenities. While my injuries pale in comparison to those received by Mr. Woodruff, the sense of loss and incapacitation is subjective and not up for review or scrutiny by the parking lot roving vice squads. On too many occasions my girlfriend & I would pull into a disabled space only to be subjected to the leers and sneers of the roving squads. I could almost hear their thoughts, Where’s your wheel chair, walker, or cane? I would then turn toward my girlfriend and say ,”it’s time to gimp it up-give them a show”.Who are these people to cast dispersions on me because I didn’t fit their criteria for who’s entitled to park in the disabled spaces. Am I placard worthy? The state department of motor vehicles has already decided.
stay tuned,
Mike

1 comment:

  1. Miguelito, had no idea you could write better than George Bush.

    ReplyDelete