Wednesday, September 2, 2009

7.Schizophrenia,blue meanies or blue tooth

I have 2 degrees and a credential in the behavioral sciences, so when it comes to life’s little oddities I imagine, I’m good- I can handle this. But all the sheepskins from UCLA to SUNY can barely prepare the novice for the experience of riding public transportation.I’m sitting across the bus isle and I’m witnessing someone having what I think is an imaginary conversation to an empty seat. So what would the great Schmoloe do? Attempt to engage, make it a three way exchange, and deduce a proper diagnosis? No, instead I observed more and noticed that not only was this person’s volume level fluctuating, but also that he had some device hanging from or into his ear. Foiled again! Technology scores one over on the science of psychology.- -.
What I have unwontedly become to accept is an overall sense of rudeness by those who use public transportation, especially when it comes to cell phone calls. I don’t know what happens to most people once they place that phone up to their ear. They become completely oblivious to their immediate world and practically with an aire of grandeur and pomposity expect those within earshot to absorb their every word, most of which equates to mindless chatter.
My next complaint is that I do not wish to experience an olfactory replay of someone’s previous meal. I am basically a timid person and having been raised Catholic, I carry an innate sense of guilt. I do not want fingers pointed at me for allegedly having my finger pulled. The cardinal rule for public transportation lies within its name-public-it’s not your exclusive ride, you share the bus or trolley car with twenty or more people. You don’t choose the music or the volume, no smoking, eating, or drinking. We’re all Bozos on this bus, looking to get from point A to B.
your a and b are a little flat,
mike

No comments:

Post a Comment