Monday, August 17, 2009

1.Lucky Strike/Bad stroke-Recovery-more than 12 steps

More like leaps and bounds, than steps
Well, I recently watched 'julie & julia' and like the other hundreds of thousands I'm not immune from the urge, passion ,or desire to share/exploit my inner most thoughts or rantings on of what's left of my mind with what I imagine to be a fascinated world.
Recovery for me is not in the traditional sense of chemical or alcohol addiction, but rather from the physical effects of a stroke I suffered four years ago. The processes are vaguely the same, the causes are more similar.
Before the stroke, Iwas a slightly accomplished accoustic guitarist-seldom performed-horrible stage fright. My style of guitar playing was/is fingerstylist'cottonpicking, Named after Elisabeth Cotton[for all you 'folkies' she wrote freight train] -she took a right hander's guitar turned it upside down and taught herself to play in that fashion as did I.
My stroke was a right brain ischemic stroke- that effected my left hand's ability to fingerpick. I miss my music like a parent misses a child-I Have dreams about songs i use to play. Everytime I pick up the guitar I am overwhelmed by depression over my inability to play what I use to.
So here's the premise, I will diligently practise every day and develop a left hand rehabilitation routine to expedite a return to my former abilities I calculate this process to take about one year and will document the highs and lows of the journey At the end of that year i will perform at a local coffee house here in San Diego-you'll all be invited 1st cup on me!-- So join me in this blog and share about similar experiences,acoustic music, and addiction/recovery--Bythe way, they weren't Lucky Strikes--Marlboros- to the tune of 3 packs a day, stroke? go figure.Talk to you soon.
mike

4 comments:

  1. Great blog. I'm glad you were able to get it posted : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. B"H

    Thanks for directing me to your blog, Michael. As we say at Recovery-International meetings: ENDORSE FOR ALL YOUR EFFORTS. You are an inspiration as well as a very funny and interesting friend. D. AKA Canada Goose

    ReplyDelete
  3. B"H

    Have you met a man named Bill Torres. He has recovered from a major stroke and talks to stroke patients and tells how he made it through. I believe that he has a website. He feeds the geese and ducks daily at Lake Murray. D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well as someone who has had the pleasure of listening and performing with M&M prior to "the event" I must say that Michael was one of the finest, innovative and different guitarists in my experience.

    I really miss that Michael. It will be tough. Remember how long it has taken us to learn it the first time???? Well you have a headstart, so go for it.

    ReplyDelete